Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chai Tea Banana Muffins with Toasted Coconut & Pistachios

You know when you buy a bunch of bananas and somehow just forget about them all week?

You totally would have eaten them, just straight up forgot about 'em (even though they were in plain sight on the kitchen table...haha oops).

Well, those times are awesome because it means banana bread! Or muffins. Or cupcakes.



These guys came from my current holiday-season desire for my baked goods to be full of spices. Always. I also added some leftover pistachios I had from another project, and topped them with dessicated coconut that toasted while baking.


The chai flavor is not super strong, in fact next time I would probably try to kick it up by using more tea in addition to ground spices, but it is a nice little mild flavor in the background.

The days are ticking down until the end of the semester! Just one more week of classes before finals. I still just can't get over how fast it went by. Halfway done with my last year of my undergraduate degree. AHH.

In the midst of my worries and stress about finals I keep thinking: culinary school! culinary school!!! It's so soon! :)

Way too excited. Anywho, these little muffins are the first of many bakings to come this December full of spices and holiday warmth. My ultimate favorite time of year.


I FLIPPED out in joy when I first heard Christmas music on the radio. I've been watching all my favorite holiday movies and listening to my fantastic Christmas playlist. Once finals are over, my happiness will be infinite!

Ingredients: Adapted from Peaches and Donuts

1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2-4 bags of Chai Tea, cut open
4 overripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
Dessicated coconut for topping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with papers (or spray with nonstick spray).

In a medium bowl, mash up the bananas. Then mix in the sugar. Add the egg, vanilla and vegetable oil and mix until incorporated.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (including the oats and tea) and add to the wet. Mix until it just comes together, and then add the pistachios.


Portion into the muffin tins, and top with about 2 teaspoons of dessicated coconut per muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


And there you go! Simple, great way to spice up (haha, literally) some banana bread! Next time I will add even more spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment