Monday, September 17, 2012

Ginormous Insanely Chocolatey Chocolate Cookies




Okay, so these cookies are not casual or light at all. They are gigantic chocolate monstrosity cookies that definitely should be paired with a glass of milk (or almond milk, for those like me who don’t drink milk). These are for those times when you’ve had an awful day, and the only remedy has to be pure chocolate.  I was feeling like making something uber chocolatey last night after getting back from studying at the library. I ended up watching Salmon Fishing in the Yemen with my roommates Kelsey and Allison instead of going straight to doing more homework or baking something. (Great movie, by the way in you haven’t seen it yet!). After the movie was over, it was about 10pm, I didn’t have class until 11am this morning, so I figured why nottt go ahead and bake a little something! I found a recipe that is a copycat of the famous Levain Bakery (in New York) 6 ounce double chocolate cookie on My Baking Addiction. This recipe has you measure the cookies out to 4 ounces each. Now, to give you an idea of how freaking big that is...I worked at a bakery this summer that I thought had pretty giant cookies. We measured out our cookies to be 2 ounces each, meaning what I thought were big cookies were HALF as big as these monstrosities I made last night. Pretty funny to think about. So, I wanted to cut the overwhelming chocolate-ness a bit (don’t get me wrong, I looove chocolate…but this GIANT cookie needed another flavor to help it out) so I added a cup of peanut butter chips instead of doing the full amount of chocolate chips, as well as added some vanilla extract. They turned out exactly how I wanted them to be: intensely chocolatey with a little peanut buttery yummyness. One was definitely more than enough for me (I had to finish the rest of it this morning with my tea haha). They were exceptionally good straight out of the oven because they were still warm and gooey. Having a scale to weigh out each cookie made the process a lot easier (as well as a roommate- Callie- to lick the spatula and mixer paddle clean! hehe).

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter <slightly softened in the microwave>
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup dark cocoa powder
2 ¼ cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini-s)
1 cup peanut butter chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, then add the eggs and beat until combined. 















Then add in the cocoa powder and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and paddle. Mix in the salt, baking powder and vanilla. Then add the flour, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chips with a spatula. 















Using a kitchen scale, portion out each cookie to weigh four ounces and place on a baking sheet. I got 11 four ounce cookies out of this recipe.

















Bake for 16-20 minutes, depending on how gooey you want them to be. I did mine for 18. Let cool slightly on the pan before moving to a wire rack.
















Like I said, these are incredibly decadent and straight up chocolate-y. It may take you more than one sitting to finish a cookie, but they are pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment